Monday, June 12, 2006

Thoughts and Family

"I have always thought the actions of men the best interpreters of their thoughts."
- John Locke

Everyone has heard of this quote and consider it very true. There are other ones, "Actions speak louder than words." and plenty more. However, I think people still do not learn the lesson of the quote.

I at least have not. It seems with any relationship a person is in that they seek to believe and trust what the individual is saying to them. Even if the actions of the individual are telling them something completely different. Examples of this, in my opinion, can be found throughout various types of relationships whether with family, significant others, friends, or co-workers.

I've heard other quotes on a similar line of logic. They go something like...

- One's thoughts control one's mind. One's mind control one's actions.
- How and what you think about control your perceived reality.

hmm...

Random thought, but also something that has been getting at my mind.

This weekend, I went to Hickory for my Mamaw's 75th birthday and my cousin Jake's high school graduation. Overall, the weekend was amazing! I spent time with my cousins joking, teasing, and catching up on each other's lives. Also, got to go out to a nice golf course and try to act like I knew what I was doing.

Going out on Saturday to the course was probably the best round of golf that I have ever played. Somehow my cousin Pat Rhyne convinced them to let all of us go on together as a 6-some which was pretty sweet. Between talking junk to each other and playing practicle jokes we actually got some decent golf shots off. One of the funniest shots was when my brother was teeing off and the ball went 75 yards out, hit a rock and came back and hit the tee box marker and went 5 feet in front of him. Absolutely Hilarious!

Of course, I got my fair share of joking from my oldest cousin Chad who liked to unstrap my bag, watch me take off in the cart and watch my bag fall flat on the ground. Between that and the "Jono baby, give me some kooosies." haha

But this weekend did teach me how important family is to me. As Pat would say, "You can have everything but my wife and daughter, you're blood." Granted, there was drama just like any other family but overall just sitting there picking on each other will be some good memories.

No comments: