Monday, June 05, 2006

Back from the NCGOP Convention

I just recently got back from the NCGOP convention and overall I'd say I had a very good time. You'd be surprised how many nice people can show up for an event like that. Granted, I was in the minority in terms of age but there were a few youngsters.

Looking back on the weekend, I realized how valuable networking is. Not only did I become friends with a few great people; I also had the opportunity to meet some pretty influential people. I don't want you to think that I am the "opportunist" type though. I enjoyed meeting these people just to really get a face to face impression of them. In my line of work, rumors float around and people get bad mouthed all the time. So it's nice to have a chance to form my own opinion outside of the rumor mill.

Another thing I realized was just how awkward some people are. It doesn't matter if you're a nobody or someone running to become a U.S. Congressman. Communication skills can make the difference from a person turning you off or staying engaged. I've come to realize the blessing I have in being able to communicate to people. I do think it's a matter of being comfortable with people and I guess I've always been a social butterfly. Ehhh I can't help it.

Overall though, the wonderful weekend was wonderful. Got paid to work, expenses paid, food paid, and got to talk with some good people. Now if only Campbell law school would call me.

No comments: